Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mia musings

We've now been in Nanning for a week, and head to Guangzhou tonight for the next phase of the adoption. Mia has been with us for 6 days now. It is hard to picture our lives before her. She has jumped right in and hasn't looked back.
Mia loves water. I mean, LOVES water. When we are in the room, she loves to play in the bathtub. She can play with water for hours, mixing bath salts, soaps, and shampoos into cups as if she is doing some type of scientific experiment. She is fearless in the pool, and clearly wants to swim just as her big sisters.
Mia loves food. She eats just about everything, although does have strong preferences, mostly towards candy. We've managed to be out in public and walk by candy stalls without the loud shrieking which happened last week. Along with her love of candy, she LOVES brushing her teeth. Her top three front teeth have visible cavities, so I think her dentist will be happy with the joy she seems to receive with toothbrushing. It makes me feel less guilty for slipping her a piece of candy when she starts the familiar wind up for a tantrum.
Most mornings she says "che fan" which means eat something. If we are still getting ready and she needs to wait, I will offer her a piece of fruit or bread. She will strongly protest. Yet, when we are downstairs for breakfast, she will head over to the fruit and take the same fruit she saw just a few minutes ago. Interesting.
She is quickly learning turn taking. The first few days, if she saw the iPad it would immediately result in a rip out of the hands of whoever was holding it. Now, she can be told "wait" and she will wait for a turn! I love seeing these small strides towards living in a family with two other sisters.
Mia loves Ni Hao Kai Lan. We tried showing her the Little Einsteins for a little variety which resulted in a protest. Right now, Kai Lan is even trumping the Pleasant Goat cartoon which is a favorite of all kids in China.
Mia sleeps well. Thank you God. She will take toys with her to bed, and often fall asleep holding them. The other night, she brought both a
ball and balloon to hold. It was not all that comfortable when I rolled over that ball in the middle of the night! Luckily, I did not roll over the balloon.
I know many attachment gurus would probably cringe at this but yesterday we started using a stroller. I carried her the first 5 days
everywhere. Yesterday, I started thinking about the airport adventure of later today. Somehow, I do not think it will be humanly possible to
get through the airport to carry her and handle all of our carry on luggage which must include all of her snacks. I will be lucky if the airport
staff does not make me check the snack bag due to the sheer weight of all I will bring for her.
In many ways I feel like I am parenting a child about two years younger than her stated age of 5. Many other adoptive parents will know exactly what I mean. Mia is the size of a three year old and has most developmental skills typical of a child that age too. I am perfectly fine with this. It gives me the chance to parent her at this younger age. Tantrums and all. Speaking of tantrums, they have continued. Although not at the frequency of those first few days. She is figuring us out, and keeping a routine (at least as much as possible while living in a hotel with three kids) helps. Most of the time, her tantrums are not long. At times, distraction will work. Other times, even her shoes come flying! We are all developing some quick reflexes and keeping a sense of humor. We are really having a lot of fun. Mia has a smile that will light up the room and eyes that have reflected pure joy. And her laugh, oh that laugh, should be bottled up and sold. It is so, so cute. And infectious.
As we prepare to leave Guangxi I cannot help but feel it is so bittersweet. My greatest blessings were all born in this place, lived in this place. My family was created in this place. And yet it is time to prepare to go home. In Guangzhou, Mia will have her consulate appointment to become an official US citizen. It is the final leg of our adoption trip. I am ready to get home and begin the new chapter of my life with my new family, but I know as we leave Guangxi later today, a piece of my heart will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment